When checking all the Reception class Storysacks you will need to work quickly. When there are two full classes to do you will often not finish until after lunch and sometimes still have a few to do after school. (You will speed up over months\years as you become familiar with the contents.
1.You will need:
- BORROWER CARD FILE BOX,
- STORYSACK CARD FILE BOX,
- INVENTORY FILE,
- PHOTOBLURB- ON LOAN BOX,
- PHOTOBLURB LIBRARY BOX
- CLASS REGISTER.
- Highlighter pen
2. Look at the first PHOTOBLURB CARD in the ON LOAN BOX if you can see that storysack in the pile proceed to next stage (if not put the card to the back and look at the next one).
3. Find the storysack’s card in the STORYSACK CARD FILE BOX mark the date returned.
4. Look for the borrowers name in the BORROWER CARD FILE BOX. Mark date returned.
5. Open INVENTORY FILE to the storysack’s page. Check the contents of the sack against the inventory list. Empty the sack to check there aren’t any pieces in the corners, pieces often get stuck in the book’s pages, game pieces often stick to each other. you may also find pieces returned from other storysacks!
6. Replace all the pieces neatly back into the storysack – books, CD, small pieces/characters. PARENT PROMPT. GUIDE FOR PARENTS. COMMENTS SLIP etc in the plastic folder – game pieces in their box or bag – dressing up clothes, playmats etc folded – toy characters dressed.
7. Put the storysack in the correct cupboard.
8. Put PHOTOBLURB in the PHOTOBLURB LIBRARY BOX.
9. Put the BORROWERS CARD back in its place in the BORROWERS CARD FILE BOX.
10. Remove PAPERCLIP, put the storysack’s card back in the STORYSACK CARD FILE BOX.
WHAT TO DO WHEN A STORYSACK PIECE IS MISSING OR BROKEN
When this happens the storysack is usually now OUT OF ACTION.
1.You will need:
- OUT OF ACTION BOX (for photoblurbs)
- STORYSACK FILE CARD
- BORROWER FILE CARD
- OUT OF ACTION CUPBOARD
- MISSING PIECES NOTICE
2. Very important – put the PHOTOBLURB in the OUT OF ACTION BOX.
3. Write date, then OUT OF ACTION on the STORYSACK FILE CARD. Also write down what item/s are missing/broken next to borrowers name. Keep PAPERCLIP on card and return it to STORYSACK CARD FILE BOX.
4.On BORROWERS CARD, in space between title and date returned write item/s missing.
5. Fill out MISSING PIECES NOTICE. Use contact details from BORROWERS CARD. Fold in half and write child’s name and class on the outside….. put this inside their next storysack.
6.Put the storysack in the OUT OF ACTION CUPBOARD.
7. It is often useful to text the parent of the borrower, politely requesting the return of missing items! Often I don’t have time to do this on storysacks day so I do it a couple of days before the next storysacks day.
8.Borrowers can still get another storysack. Sometimes storysacks can continue to be used with items missing ) in this instance sticker over items on the PHOTO INVENTORY inside the sack). Frequently these missing pieces are never returned, you will see a pattern developing with some borrowers who regularly lose and/or break stuff; some will be very apologetic, some will not respond at all for requests to return things, some simply don’t care it’s just a school resource to be used with no sense of responsibility or obligation. When pieces are never returned or are too damaged to use replacements must be made.(See Repairing Games)